MILLS IN THE DUBROVNIK AREA
At the time Konavle belonged to Radoslav Pavlović and then to Duke Sandalj Hranić, mills were located in Rijeka Dubrovačka at the source of the Ombla River, in Župa Dubrovačka in the Village of Mlini, and in Duboka Ljuta. Having acquired the area of Pelješac in 1333 and the Region of Primorje in 1399, the authorities of Dubrovnik also took over the mills in Ston and Trsteno. With the construction of an aqueduct from Šumet to Dubrovnik in 1440, they also started building mills along the western part of the City Walls.
The authorities in Dubrovnik considered the mills as being strategic facilities and, for the entire duration of the Dubrovnik Republic, mills were exclusively state-owned. The local authorities therefore regulated, under special provisions, not only the construction and the maintenance of the mills, but also the lease of the mills to the citizens (subordinates) of Dubrovnik.
Detailed rules were laid down for citizens to lease or subdivide mills, including the terms of the lease, and the amount and method of rental payment. Proper payment of financial obligations was ensured by a greater number of tenants and guarantors, mortgages on their entire property as well as draconian penalties.
The producer of the grain paid state tax at the local Rector's Office. The miller could not do the milling without issuing a receipt of payment to everyone….with the exception of nuns and priests, who were exempt from paying taxes. Similarly, special decisions regulated the settlement of disputes between millers and farmers.