AUSTRIAN RULE, 1815-1918
The Austrian or the Austro-Hungarian Rule lasted from 1815 to 1918. The Austrian authorities privatized the mills, selling them mostly to previous lessees and concessionaires. However, the entire system of sluices remained state-owned and was entered on the same land plot as the river, which is supported by the first Austrian Cadastre for Dalmatia, created in 1837. The number of mills on the River Ljuta was also increased during the Austro-Hungarian period.
The fulling mill within the Taraš Mill was demolished and a new mill was built instead in its place. Other mills were extended by the adding of another mill so that along with the existing fifteen mills, seven new ones were built. In 1856, the rushing river destroyed one of them, and until 1918, 21 remained on the River Ljuta.